Latest Digital Stats February 2017
Generation X and YouTube
Here’s what Generation Xers are watching on YouTube, to help you market to them effectively.
Generation X are made up of people born between the mid-1960s and late ’70s. Brands are marketing towards this generation now more than ever. According to Pixability, 1.5 Billion views every day on YouTube are from Gen Xers.
Top 3 kinds of nostalgic videos Gen Xers watch on YouTube
- Videos that relate to past music events or people
- Videos that relate to past entertainment and pop culture
- Videos that relate to past commercials
75% of Gen Xers watch YouTube videos that relate to past events or people
Top 3 reasons Gen Xers turn to YouTube for current events and pop culture
- To stay “in the know” about their children’s world
- To connect with their children
- Because they like to know everything going on in the world
68% of Gen Xers watch YouTube videos to stay on top of news and pop culture
Top 5 “how-to” content categories that Gen X turns to YouTube for
- Home repair/improvement
- Technology use and repair
- Arts and crafts
- Beauty and personal care
73% of Gen Xers watch YouTube videos to learn how to do something
So what does this all mean when marketing your brand? As shown above, Gen Xers are watching a significant amount of YouTube videos. For example, 75% of Gen Xers watch YouTube on any device per month, and 64% of Gen Xers went on to buy a product or service they saw in a video on YouTube when they were learning how to do something.
Source: Think With Google